Thursday, March 14, 2013

Benefit They're Real Mascara Review

Hello everyone! I think Benefit's They're Real Mascara is an important one to review for a couple different reasons. First of all, this mascara is supposedly the most popular (and most sold) mascara in the world! Secondly, you all have a chance to try this mascara for free this year at Sephora! That's right! You can get the sample size free at Sephora, along with a sample size of Benefit Watt's Up Highlighter during your birthday month! Just make sure you are a Sephora Beauty Insider; sign up is free (but let's be real, if you are reading this blog, chances are you already know all about Sephora and/or are a Sephora junkie!).
Image from Benefit.
Benefit is a brand that makes rather expensive, but popular cosmetics. They are known for adorable retro packaging, and innovative products. Not to be negative, but I personally think Benefit is a bit overpriced for what it is. I feel that Benefit relies on catchy gimmicks to sell a lot of their products, rather than focusing on the product itself. It's cute, don't get me wrong, but I like things to be "real." lol
Image from Benefit.
This is the ad that's featured with many of They're Real Mascara's displays. So I'd like to know what's real: the mascara or her boobs? lol. I'm personally not a fan of this type of advertising.
Benefit's claims:
  • "94% saw dramatic length & volume"
  • "90% saw base to tip curl"
  • "94% saw visible lift"
  • 90% saw a dramatic increase in breast volume! (lol just kidding)
  • Also claims to separate.
  • "100% saw long-wearing results"
  • The "jet black, long-wearing formula won't smudge or dry out."
  • "Specially designed brush reveals lashes you never knew you had."
Benefit is known for it's cute retro packaging, and They're Real is no different. The full size comes in a sleek silver tube. Just as a reference, I'm reviewing the sample size tube I've been using. I do have the full size as well, but it has yet to be opened or used. The brush design features a plastic wand with spiky bristles. The unique feature is the "mace ball" (lol, like the end of a weapon) at the end. Instead of the brush tapering off into nothingness, the folks at Benefit added a little spiky ball in order to get those small baby lashes at the end. While the mascara does effectively reach those hard to reach lashes at the ends, you really have to wipe the excess mascara off the end first. Otherwise you'll get a gloppy mess. The color is very black, just the way I like it! The formula performs much like a waterproof mascara, though they don't state that it's waterproof in the advertising. I personally find it to be waterproof on me, as well as not smudging or flaking. It is also difficult to remove, but no worse than a waterproof formula. I would define this as a finicky mascara; it gives amazing results, but only if you're willing to work with it. When you first open the mascara, it is a wet formula. For me, this meant I really had to wait for it to dry on my lashes; if I blinked too soon then it would get all over my brow bone. There also seemed like there was almost too much product on the brush of a fresh tube; this made the mascara clumpier, especially on the inner corners. However, once I let the mascara dry out for a few weeks, it was perfect! It separated well, volumized, and lengthened. It definitely gave me amazing lashes, probably the best I've ever had. Yet, the window on this is short. Once the mascara dries up too much, then it clumps and flakes. So I'd say this mascara has a short life over all, and most definitely must be used up within 2-3 months. For the expensive price tag of $23 for the full size, "ain't nobody got time for that!" However, since the effect at the mascara's peak is so amazing, I would consider getting the deluxe sample size ($10), which lasted me 2 months. Luckily I have a full size after this plus the Sephora birthday sample! Even though it's a tricky one, I'd highly recommend you getting your freebie and trying it out!

Pros:
  • Cute packaging
  • Great plastic brush w/ spiky ball at end
  • Performs like a waterproof mascara
  • Doesn't ever smudge
  • Doesn't flake in its prime
  • Very black color
  • It is indeed long wearing
  • In its prime it gives a "false lash effect;" rather it's the best your lashes can possibly look while still being your lashes.
  • Volumizes
  • Lengthens
  • Separates decently
Cons:
  • Need to wipe off excess mascara at the tip of the spiky ball!
  • The mascara is difficult to remove, but no more so than a waterproof formula.
  • Finicky mascara. Starts out too wet, is great for some time, than dries out quickly (you lie Benefit, it definitely dries out!).
  • Starts out too wet, and you must let it dry thoroughly before blinking.
  • Starts out a bit too wet, but dries out quickly.
  • It can clump if you're not careful, but this mostly happens when the mascara is drying out too much. It also flakes at this point.
  • Short mascara lifespan
  • Expensive for the full size!
Full size outer packaging.
Full size outer packaging.
Full size outer packaging.
The full size tube.
The sample size tube.
The mascara wand.
Full size vs sample size comparison.
Beauty in the Breakdown:
  • Brand: Benefit
  • Product: Long-wearing mascara that gives a "false lash" effect.
  • Shades: One shade only, black.
  • Price: $23 for full size (8.5g/0.3oz) or $10 for deluxe sample size (3g/0.1oz)
  • Where to get: Sephora, Ulta, Benefit's website, Benefit counters (like inside Macy's)
  • Package Quality (out of 5 stars): ***** (Great packaging for both sizes) 
  • Overall Rating (out of 5 stars): **** (Very good overall)
  • Recommend: Yes, but only if you're willing to work with it, since the effect can be worth it!
  • Repurchase: I would consider repurchasing, though I do not like buying mascaras at this price point. BUT, I would definitely buy the sample size for $10, just not the full size. The window on how long you can use the mascara is too short to buy the big one. I'd rather just have the sample for a cheaper, almost drugstore price.
  • Grade: B (an A when it is in its prime, but a B overall)
Here's the mascara featured in Valentine's Day Look: Smokey & Sexy:
Disclosure: The sample size was given to me as a free gift with purchase. The full size was given to me as a gift. I was not paid or compensated in any way. All opinions are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you can get it for free, lucky you. We need Sephora here in Europe :)
    If you want, you can enter my giveaway http://sparklewithlaughter.blogspot.com/2013/03/little-international-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Sephora should definitely expand! And thanks for the giveaway! :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh definitely need to sign up to Sephora. They give your lashes length and volume which is fantastic!

    Your newest follower! Hope you follow back xx

    ReplyDelete