Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lush Trichomania Shampoo Bar Review

*This product was a sample that was given to me as a part of my Lush training. This does not change my opinion on the product in any way.*

Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics creates *you guessed it!* handmade products for the hair, body, face, bath, and shower. All of their products are cruelty-free and fair trade, as well as being 100% vegetarian and 80% vegan. The product I'm reviewing today is a sample of one of Lush's solid shampoo bars, called Trichomania, which is a coconut shampoo for dry hair. Unlike the other shampoo bars from Lush's range, this one is cut by weight, much like the soaps from Lush. Therefore, customers can receive whatever size shampoo bar that fits his or her needs! This is also why I was able to have a small sample to try out. The name "Trichomania" originates from Mark Constantine, one of the founders of Lush. Mark is a trichologist, which is an individual who studies the scalp and hair.
Image from Lush.
Lush's claims:

  • Lush's most hydrating solid shampoo designed for dry and fluffy hair.
  • Its designed for hair that's lost moisture and needs to be tamed.
  • Moisturizes and conditions.
  • Lightly fragrances the hair.
  • Contains creamed coconut that covers every strand in moisture. 
  • Helps to control frizz, making dry or curly hair behave.
  • Vertivert Oil calms the senses and gives it a tropical fragrance.
Lush's Ingredients: 
  • Sodium Lauryl Sulfate-a foaming agent
  • Stearic Acid-a fatty acid; it coats the hair shaft, protecting and conditioning without making hair dull or heavy.
  • Creamed Coconut (Cocos nucifera)-gives shine and nourishes the scalp
  • Glyceryl Stearate-a surfactant that allows oil and water to mix in formula. It is often used w/ PEG-100 Stearate  to stabilize and keep the product well blended.
  • PEG-100 Stearate-when used w/ a moisturizer, it forms a protective barrier allowing moisture retention.
  • Cocomide DEA-derived coconut oil. Its surfactant properties allow it to cleanse the hair, remove oils, and keep hair fresh & clean. It also gives shine and bounce to the hair.
  • Lecithin-highly conditioning and moisturizing ingredient for hair. Reduces the need for synthetic ingredients and allows for a better blend of raw materials. 
  • Perfume-blend of natural oils, resins, and absolutes that adds to the product's aroma.
  • Vertivert Oil (Vertiveria zizanoides)-oil from the vertivert grass. Adds to the fragrance
Trichomania has a lovely aroma, smelling of tropical creamy coconuts. It foams up easily, though my small sample foams up less easily than the full size. I've also used the product in store, so a bigger bar definitely creates plenty of lather. In order to use a shampoo bar, first you get the bar wet, rub the bar between your hands, and either put the foam on your hair or directly rub the bar on your hair. The great thing about shampoo bars is that it's a "naked product" with no outer packaging, this reducing waste. Also, its a concentrated formula; you add the water yourself! This shampoo cleaned my hair very well for a moisturizing shampoo, and I had no oily build-up on my scalp. It was quite conditioning, and did provide some moisture. I don't know if it really tamed my frizz, but it definitely didn't make it worse. While I loved the fragrance, I prefer Lush's other moisturizing shampoo, Godiva (review to come soon). I prefer the size and travel capability of Godiva (it fits in one of Lush's shampoo bar tins). Plus, I'm in love with Godiva's jasmine scent and cocoa butter formula. Both are wonderful shampoos and are a great choice for dry hair.

Pros:
  • Amazing coconut scent
  • Fairly conditioning, just not as much as a conditioner (but it's a shampoo)
  • A travel friendly shampoo bar
  • A naked product, which reduces waste
  • Can be cut in store to any size
Cons:
  • Not quite as moisturizing as other products I've used. But still hydrating (but like I said it IS a shampoo).
  • I didn't notice much frizz taming.
My sample of Trichomania
I will also re update this review when I try out the full size, just in case there are any differences.

Beauty in the Breakdown:
  • Brand: Lush
  • Product: A coconut solid shampoo for dry hair
  • Price: $9.95 for 3.5oz (can be cut to whatever amount you choose)
  • Where to get: Lush stores and Lush's website
  • Package Quality (out of 5 stars): ***** (There really isn't packaging, but 5 stars anyway because I love solid products with no packaging!) 
  • Overall Rating (out of 5 stars): **** 1/2 (Very good)
  • Recommend: Yes
  • Repurchase: I plan on buying the full size, though at this moment I prefer Lush's Godiva solid shampoo bar.
  • Side Note: Cruelty-free, more natural product
  • Grade: B+
Disclosure: This product was a sample given to me as part of my Lush employee training. Samples like these are often given to store customers. I was not paid or compensated in any way. All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete